Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fabulous Friends

This last week I met up with a dear friend from junior high and high school...Beckie Child now known as Rebecca Bateman. Beckie recently found me on Facebook and after chatting back and forth invited me and Owen out to lunch. It was so fun hooking up with her again and picking up where we left off 14 years ago. I was so excited to meet her for lunch and loved seeing her again. She looks exactly the same and I felt like we were back in high school! (Surely I'm not any older now than I was then :)  I loved hearing about her life for the last 14 years and get an update on what's going on in her life. Beckie is so talented and accomplished and is a wonderful influence on her family. I enjoyed hearing how she is so faithful in following the Spirit and doing what she knows is right. She is and always has been a wonderful example to me.  She married David Bateman, who I grew up with since elementary school, so I got an update on him as well. Having lunch with Beckie reminded me how great friends are and how I need to be better keeping in touch. Facebook has been a fun way to hook up with friends and see how they are doing. 
This weekend we had another reunion with dear friends. Dave and Amanda Laycock from Canada were in town for a business conference at BYU. They stopped by yesterday for dessert and hot tubbing and we met them again today for the BYU game and had so much fun. (It really helped that BYU killed UCLA 59-0!). I'm convinced that the Kanuks brought good luck and that's why BYU did so great today! I love David's energy and zest for life, and Amanda's sense of humor and her ability to find humor in any situation. I admire the way they are raising their family and spend quality time with them. It's truly a blessing to have friends that no matter the time that passes you can just pick up where you left off. 
As a side note, my Mom and Dad came to the game with us today and had a lot of fun. It was so great to see them there cheering on the Cougs! Mom felt really good and is getting so strong again. As I watched my parents at the game, my Dad with his arm around my Mom, I was so grateful that they were there and are doing so well since their accident last May. We have witnessed many miracles and blessings through their recovery process. I am so grateful that they are still alive and able to spend time doing things they love. Love ya Mom and Dad!

                                  
My beautiful Mom and Amanda in the "mystery white tent" at half time.








1 comment:

Amanda said...

So much fun Val. I think my hands might be permanently calloused from all of the high fives - but it was worth it. I also noticed your Dad with his arm around your Mom during much of the football game and thought it was very sweet - a great example of enduring love.