Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fore a Cure Golf Tournament

Yesterday was my first ever golf tournament! Booyah! We were the only all girl team and we rocked! We played in the Hemophilia Golf Tournament at the Homestead in Midway, UT. Rob was the Tournament Director this year and did an excellent job of organizing and running this amazing tournament. Ok, he did have a lot of help from some really amazing volunteers too.
My team was made up of me, Heidi Pestana, Kari Lawrence, and Bonnie McDermott. Heidi is my good friend and old back door neighbor in Provo. Her husband, John, is Rob's business partner as well. Kari, aka. Dr Lawrence, aka best golfer ever, is my good friend and neighbor. She's also become my golf mentor of sorts. And Bonnie golfs at Alpine Country Club and was a great asset to our team. 
We went to divide and conquer the men at this tournament and did a pretty great job of it. We shot 12 under (62 I think), Kari won the women's "longest drive", I won (woohoo!) the women's "closest to the hole", Heidi won the women's  "straightest drive", and Bonnie won women's "closest chip". Kari eagled our last hole (a par 5) with an amazing chip, and I even birdied on the "closest to the hole" hole. Kari, Bonnie and I all got on the green for the Jet Blue Challenge, and Bonnie and I were drawn out of the raffle. What a team of winners! We had a lot of fun golfing and joking around. 
I always look forward to having Rob's business affiliates, who have become great friends, come out to Utah for this event. This year on Monday the guys went golfing at Talon's Cove and then came back to our place for swimming and a BBQ. I loved having everyone here hanging out with our family. It was a great way to spend the evening.
The best part was the event itself. This tournament raises money to help families in Utah with bleeding disorders. Most of the money goes to pay for Camp Valor which is a summer camp for kids with bleeding disorders. It gives them an opportunity to do really fun stuff with kids just like them, to learn that they can do whatever they want, and also learn how to self-infuse themselves. This involves sticking a needle into their vein and administering medicine 2-4 times a week. Because Liam (our 6 yr old) has hemophilia, we are so grateful for this great foundation that provides support to families like ours. We are also so grateful for the friends that continually come and support this golf tournament through donations, golfing, and buying items in the auction that help this foundation.


.Rob's team from left to right 
Mike Fankhauser, Dwayne Fowles (bro in law), Rob, Brian Santiago.


This was the longest putt...I didn't win this contest. In fact, I didn't even come close :) I guess you can't win it all, someone might get suspicious. 





 

1 comment:

Enjoying the Journey said...

Way to go lady golfers! Is there anything you can't do, Val? Jeff was in a golf tournament this week, too. I wonder if it was this one? I'll have to ask.