Tuesday, November 11, 2008

God Bless America!

Today is Veterans Day. Normally I don't think too much about this holiday, other than a quick thought of gratitude to the Veterans who have served our country. But today was a little different. Gavin's grade presented a Veteran's Day Program to honor, recognize and thank the many veterans living in our area and who have served our country so well. The program was a compilation of patriotic songs and readings written by the 5th graders themselves. I have been to this very same program just last year, and only remembered it was very long. Probably because I had to try to keep Liam quiet for almost two hours :)
 This year, I had a very different experience. I was fighting tears through the entire program from reciting the Pledge of Allegiance to the honoring our veterans in attendance. I felt overwhelming gratitude for those who have served and are now serving our country. I felt their sacrifice of leaving their families, of living in difficult circumstances, and even giving up their lives for freedom. I feel so blessed to have people willing to serve our country.
 I think the changes in me are because of the recent debates over the war in Iraq.  I believe that we all will need to take a stand on what we feel is right and then be willing to fight for those freedoms. I feel that the preservation of our country lies in the conviction and devotion of those who live here. I felt deeply moved by the many sacrifices that have been given so I can live under such conditions of freedom. I'm thankful that we live in a nation that teaches our children these principles and to honor those who have so bravely served. It was so neat to have my dad there and be recognized for his service in the Army National Guard. His patriotism runs deep and strong. What a blessing it is to Remember and to be Grateful. 
God Bless America!

 
 Gavin looking so handsome in his white shirt!



The 5th graders and the Veterans who attended



Grandpa and Gavin after the program


1 comment:

Enjoying the Journey said...

I just love those patriotic programs! Amen, sister!