Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ode to Owen



So, we are moving into a new stage of life. One that has been long awaited, but is bittersweet at the same time. Life without baby....whoa! Haven't had that for 13 years. It's taking time to adjust, but is so fun as well. This last week my brother and sister in law came and got our crib to use for their upcoming baby.(yay for first babies!!! and cute prego mamma's) It's the first time we haven't had a crib in the house for 13 years. 
Owen made the transition to the "big boy bed" with ease...in fact easier than I did. I was "transitioning" him to the big boy bed by removing the railing on the crib, and then maybe suggesting he sleep in the big bed. Owen, however, took one look at the bed and he was in it. I'm pretty sure the older kids didn't need or even get to choose a transitioning time to a big bed. It was, "hey, you're out of here. " and that was that. Anyway, it was bittersweet to lose the crib stage, but exciting too.  It sure will make traveling easier :) 
Owen is already doing pretty much what the big kids do....getting food out to eat, putting on and watching movies all by himself, going to preschool, buckling his carseat all by himself...etc etc. One thing he is resisting doing however, is giving up diapers and going potty all by himself. Potty training is my nemesis...so even though I'd like to move out of the diaper stage, it's really ok that we're not. I tried to bribe my kids to potty train him by offering $50 to whoever was successful...but, no takers. We just have to wait until Owen decides to do it, and then it's done.

So, what is it about a 3 yr old that is so yummy? That makes you want to squeeze and squish them and just devour them up? They still smell good, have sweet kissable cheeks and say the funniest things. Owen is going to "LD" Preschool which we refer to as "Apple Preschool" because they have a big red apple on the building. So yesterday was his first day of school and i was trying to get him pumped up to go to Apple preschool and he comes back with, "I don't want to go to Apple preschool. I want to go to Orange preschool!" Luckily he changed his mind by the time we got there. He is constantly asking for the sunkinjaya song...translated means the "Apologize" song by One Republic. It's his favorite song....and he knows all the words. 
I love the sticky sweet kisses, the "i love you mom", the "ooh, you're so pretty mom", the "I need snuggles", and even the "no, I want to do it by myself". I love the living life fully with abandon, trusting that you are loved and everything is right in the world. The simple child-like faith that mom can make anything better and dad is a super-hero. I love the "look what I did!" and "oh oh, look what Owen did" (spoken by Owen). I love the just out of the tub smell, and the playing outside smell. I love the big golden eyes that sparkle with delight and the happy little giggle that is amused with the simplest things.  I'm crazy about the kid. He's my little buddy :)

No comments: